The holiday season is a time of joy and celebration, often marked by the twinkling lights adorning homes and streets. In recent years, a growing trend has emerged – permanent holiday lighting. This innovative approach allows homeowners to keep their holiday lights up all year round, adding a touch of festive cheer to any season. While the concept may seem appealing to some, it is important to consider the pros and cons before deciding whether permanent holiday lighting is right for you.
Is Permanent Holiday Lighting right for your home?
Pros of Permanent Holiday Lighting:
- Extended Festive Atmosphere: One of the main advantages of permanent holiday lighting is the ability to maintain a festive ambiance throughout the year. These lights can uplift moods, evoke nostalgia, and create a welcoming environment for both residents and visitors. The warm glow of the lights can bring a sense of comfort and joy, regardless of the time of year.
- Time and Effort Savings: Installing holiday lights can be a time-consuming and labor-intensive task. By opting for permanent holiday lighting, homeowners can save themselves the hassle of putting up and taking down lights every year. Once installed, these lights require minimal maintenance, allowing homeowners to spend their time on other activities.
- Year-Round Decorative Appeal: Permanent holiday lighting offers an opportunity for creative expression and unique outdoor décor. With various lighting designs and color options available, homeowners can transform their exteriors into stunning displays. The lights can be customized to match personal preferences or to celebrate different holidays and special occasions throughout the year.
- Increased Property Value: Enhancing the curb appeal of a home can positively impact its value. Permanent holiday lighting can make a property stand out in the real estate market, attracting potential buyers and increasing its marketability. Well designed and Mike’s Landscape Lighting installed-lighting can add a touch of elegance and charm, making a lasting impression on visitors and passersby.
Cons of Permanent Holiday Lighting:
- Higher Energy Consumption: Permanent holiday lighting requires a continuous energy supply, leading to increased electricity usage. This can result in higher energy bills, particularly if the lighting system is not energy efficient. It is important to consider the environmental impact and financial implications of this increased energy consumption. The systems installed by Mikes Landscape Lighting are LED and draw very little power.
- Light Pollution Concerns: The proliferation of bright lights in residential areas can contribute to light pollution, causing disruptions to the natural environment and negatively impacting wildlife. Excessive artificial light can disturb nocturnal animals, interfere with their natural behaviors, and affect ecosystems. It is crucial to strike a balance between maintaining a festive atmosphere and being mindful of the environment. Mikes Landscape Lighting is always mindful of the balance of the ecosystem. That is why we recommend that the lights be turned off by 11pm or midnight to leave the environment undisturbed.
- Maintenance and Repair Costs: While permanent holiday lighting requires less effort than seasonal installations, it still requires maintenance and occasional repairs. Weather elements, such as rain, snow, or strong winds, can damage the lights or wiring, necessitating repairs or replacements. These costs should be factored into the decision to install permanent holiday lighting.
- Diminished Festive Significance: The holiday season holds a special place in people’s hearts as a time of joy and celebration. Some argue that having holiday lights all year round may dilute the significance and magic associated with specific festive periods. The lights might lose their novelty and impact if they are continuously displayed, potentially diminishing their effect during the actual holiday season.
Permanent holiday lighting offers the allure of a perpetual festive atmosphere and year-round curb appeal. However, it is essential to weigh the pros and cons before deciding whether to install them. Consider the increased energy consumption, potential environmental impact, maintenance costs, and the potential dilution of the holiday spirit. By making an informed decision, homeowners can strike a balance between creating a welcoming atmosphere and being mindful of the implications associated with permanent holiday lighting. Call today to make an appointment with our holiday lighting designer at 262-358-9100.